Within the full first year of operation, Rockay launched its first product (running socks) and is positioned to become a worldwide known brand for runners, with a full lineup of clothing and shoes.
Our mission is to produce the best running products the world has seen while helping to save our planet from the destructive behaviors and environmentally harmful damage.
To make the best running products in the world, we base our production on field testing—meaning we, as everyday runners, test out the products extensively with the help of our Rockay athletes. We never launch a product we would not consider wearing ourselves!
To help the planet and aid our mission of being eco-friendly, we aim to source our fabrics from collected plastic from our oceans. Our aim is to have 100% traceability on the origins of the ocean plastic we used in every item produced. With this accountability, we strive to keep the promise of producing products in the most eco-friendly way, without compromising on the quality you would expect from a world-class brand.
What We Are Currently Working On
1. Sourcing Ocean Plastic
Our trusted supplier sources plastic from the ocean and turns it into high-quality polyester. It is important that the quality remains as good as virgin polyester, however, our dedication to the improvement of our environment requires all items to be 100% recycled and also partially constructed from ocean plastic. To achieve this, about 20% of the polyester is plastic recovered from the ocean and the remaining 80% retrieved from recycling facilities.
Furthermore, we insist on 100% traceability on the plastic recovered from oceans. We’ve terminated previous partnerships with suppliers who could not guarantee point of origin – and have secured suppliers who offer full transparency. Yes, the price of this type of polyester is significantly higher than virgin polyester, but we don’t see an alternative; the world needs a revolution in sustainable practices and manufacturing.
From June to September 2018, we tested our ocean polyester and, as with any new endeavor, had a couple of hiccups. Since we want our socks to be durable, comfortable and long-lasting, we needed a few tweaks before we got it just right!
In late September 2018, we placed our first order for recycled ocean plastic polyester. Our factory spun those into Accelerate Running Socks, compression calf sleeves & compression socks. We’re happy to say we are quite pleased with the results and know you will be equally happy with your purchase!
Q1-Q2 of 2019: We have finally managed to use 100% recycled fabrics in all our products. We will relaunch both the Accelerate sock, the Blaze sleeves and launch our Trail running socks + Compression socks in May 2019. Every product is made partly from ocean plastic and is 100% recycled.
Did you know?
1 pair of Accelerate Running Socks will remove 1 water bottles of plastic or equivalent plastic from the ocean!
Our compression socks will remove 3.5 bottles.
2. Odor-Free Clothing
Yes, as crazy as that sounds, your clothes can be odor-free while reducing environmental damage using the newest technology on the market. Actually, maybe it’s not that crazy. Either way, we have partnered with Polygiene and will be working on adding their coding to our products. Polygiene’s unique coding makes our clothing anti-bacterial (bacteria is the reason why clothes smell). So, instead of washing your clothes, you can simply let it dry on a hanger and use it again and again. Noted to be 100% safe, this technology has already been in use by companies like Patagonia and Adidas. Wear and tear on clothing decreases dramatically and you’ll be eco-friendly with less water wasted on repetitive washings. The Polygiene treatment has been added to our calf sleeves in November 2018.
3. 100% Recycled Materials for Packaging
There is no reason to cut down new trees or add more chemicals to our world if we can use what’s already out there! We expect all our packaging to be made from 100% recycled materials in 2019, and working diligently to achieve this goal.